Thursday, February 5, 2015

Harvesting

Hi Friends,

Back online after a HECTIC 7 days! On Saturday last week, the Doctors started doing a blood test called a CD34 which measures the amount of stem cells that are in your blood. This test is obviously very important for me because as soon as the cell count "peaked'' then I needed to be harvested. Also, after 2 entire weeks of preparation (the chemo etc) it was important that the "peak" wasn't missed. I was feeling so exhausted and weak that I would barely lift my head off of the pillow and I was very pale. When we got the results back on Saturday they weren't good, the platelets were very low and so was my stem cell count - a big fat zero! Not the news we needed. I ended up having a triple blood  transfusion but only after a 24 hour wait because there is currently a countrywide blood shortage. I also had to have a platelets but they are not nearly as scarce as blood is. On Sunday and Monday I had more CD34 tests done and my count was still ZERO! Even after FOURTEEN (2 per day)Neupogen injections which are supposed to help your bone marrow to release the stem cells.

The Number Game

On Tuesday when they tested, my count was three. The minimum stem cell count, in order to be harvested, is ten. Unfortunately time was against me so even though my stem cell count was showing improvement, it would have taken me almost 10 days to get to a decent level in order to harvest and by then my mobilization period would have been over. I would have had to start from scratch again. Let me just say that by this stage I was so frustrated and miserable, I had been in isolation for 2 weeks with no fresh air and feeling horrible, I was claustrophobic and so emotional. The Doctors then decided to request and emergency drug called MOBICOL. It is a tiny injection which is given in in the tummy once and costs.... wait for it... R78 000.00 for a single dose! I know. On Wednesday morning at 4am I received my exorbitant injection and at 6am I had two more Neupogens. I had another CD34 test done at 7:30am and my stem cell count was 43! Yes you read that correctly! Yippee!!!

Harvesting

I had had a femoral line put in on Tuesday afternoon (really painful), it was basically identical to the catheter that was in my neck but placed at the top of my thigh/groin as this is where the stem cells would be harvested from.




I went through to the harvesting room at 8am and got started. I was connected to a machine called a Blood Cell Separator which pulls blood through one of the lines in the picture above, separates the stem cells and collects them, and then pushes blood back through the other line.



 
 
The machine
 




 
The stem cells starting to collect
 
 
The harvesting process isn't painful! I was wide awake the entire time and had to lie in one position the entire time but I ate and drank normally and read my book. I only finished at 5pm-  a very LONG, tiring day! If you are a donor you will have a line in each arm and they will harvest through those. Unfortunately my veins are so damaged from chemo and blood tests that my only option was to have a femoral line put in.
 
 
 
360ml of absolute gold - my stem cells at last!
 
 
While I was being harvested, I read the latest version of the Pick 'n Pay Fresh Living magazine and look what I found inside!
 
 
 
 
 
 
My stem cells were then checked for quality and quantity last night to determine whether I needed to be harvested for a second time, I'm ecstatic to say that I had a very, very good first harvest and I was discharged this morning. I can't even begin to tell you how incredible it feels to be free! I had my lines removed which was almost painless and we headed straight to Woolies for tea and treats!
 
 
 
 
I am so proud of my special Sister and her Fiancé, Brett for donating blood this week. To all of you who donate regularly - you are real heroes! rust me, it is the most awful feeling lying in hospital, feeling like death, waiting for blood because there is a shortage. I wish everyone would be proactive and donate- it's the easiest way to save a life and who wouldn't want to claim that! :)
 
 
 
 
 
I have to mention how absolutely incredible my Mum has been during the last 3 weeks- she really is amazing! She has pulled me through the tough times, held my hand when I've been screaming in pain and laughed with me to keep me going. I honestly don't think I would've made it through without her < 3 Love you so much Mum!
 
 
 
 
All packed up and ready to be discharged
 
 
 
 
 
 
Excuse the picture quality- the Nurse wasn't a pro!
 
 
I'm not allowed to travel for 3 days because I had a femoral line and there is a risk of clotting. We are staying with the fabulous Mandy Dutton who has been an absolute pillar of strength for my Mum and I while I have been in Pretoria. Mands, thank you with all my heart- you are such a gem!
 
 
 
The very best welcome in the world!
 
 
Tonight we are having champagne to celebrate and lots of laughs, my heart is SO happy! Not long now until I am home with my special Fiancé < 3 Thank you all for you messages and prayers- without you I wouldn't have made it through. Exciting times ahead!
 
xxx
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Kirst your posts bring tears to my eyes every time I read them. You are so strong and amazing. You are so inspiring the way you keep going, writing about your personal story, and never looking like you are sad. I am feel blessed that you share this, and I am able to be a part of it. I think of you all the time. Keep smiling beautiful. We all behind you, supporting you the whole way.

    ReplyDelete